Concert report Dortmund 2015

dreamdancer

I am a Fama Tuba
First, I should apologize that it took me so long to write about the Crystal Palace Tour. I hope that this can still enhance the joyous anticipation of the Polish fans and all others who have the pleasure to join the last concert of the tour in Warsaw tomorrow (I envy you):

Fans had been longing for this concert for a long time. Originally the performance was scheduled November last year, but had to be shifted for some reason. Now, just one day before carnival Monday finally Deine Lakaien are on parade in Dortmund. Supporting are “God’s bow”, who accompanied the group earlier during the White-Lies tour. They attune the fans to the following musical journey with their dark-ambient music. But those who expect to get into party mood are definitely out of place. Intense hypnotic sounds lead into a trancelike state with the voice of Agnieszka Kornet floating above as if a siren softly sings and somewhat reminiscent of “Dead can Dance”. Check out yourself if you please with “Fallen” from the new album “Tranquilizer”. However, the audience seems to resist being drawn into the lower realms of the souls by the dark soft rocking waves of sound. Are people too impatient or are they afraid of not resurfacing again? No need of that. After short 30 minutes the lights go on and the stage is re-arranged for the main act tonight.
Ernst Horn quickly tunes his synthesizers. He can spread those on both sides of the stage, since Goran Trajkoski is lending his hands on this tour.
Soon it is dark again and the stage is bathed in cold blue-white light. The first notes of “Colour-Ize” play. A voice yet invisible sings: “I don’t go out, out in the dark”. Alexander Veljanov enters slowly the stage as if hesitating. His soft baritone lures the audience into the network of electronic sounds that completely precludes escape after “Reincarnation” and “Into my arms”. The drums of Slobodan Kajkut in “Fighting the green” hit the captives with angry desperation, while in the stanzas futility emerges from the keyboard produced by Ernst’s hands with unknown tenderness. Comfort is found in the definite end of “Over and done”.
The soft sadness of the following ballade “Where you are” warms the soul, and time is standing still for a heartbeat before the last stanza. The subject of the first song played from the current album “Crystal Palace” is similar, as pointed out by Mr. Veljanov. Adamant is the sound of “Nevermore will I fall in love” with palpable disruption in its changing rhythms. Likewise special with respect to rhythm but otherwise much softer is the song “Gone”, while its successor “Europe” with its French-English lyrics is more experimental. Recent events emphasize here oppressiveness rather than hope. „Longing for hope, drown in the sea“ – who does not think about Lampedusa and operation „Triton“ that makes the wall around Europe even more impenetrable. This changes the context of „Return“, as well; the piece announced by Alexander as the song about “… the one who returns”.
“Where the winds don’t blow” is another beautiful ballade. Its folk character is emphasized by Goran with his E-guitar, while here his backing vocals can show to advantage particularly. “Overpaid” breaks the dreamy mood abruptly. This song is most fun of all. The similar rocking “The ride” does not quite hit this time. But afterwards Slobodan can play to the gallery one more time with the final song of the official set “Farewell”. Though not for the last time tonight, since the audience demands encores with vehement applause.
Ernst loses himself completely in the playful-meditative intro of “Crystal Palace” that he misses Alexander’s entry. So he adds a few more ornamental notes sassily before Alexander’s draconic look calls him back to discipline. “Forever and a day” carries the audience off to distant spheres one more time before the unavoidable “Love me to the end”, while afterwards “Manastir Baroue” convinces in the pure electronic version with an especially intense and cool atmosphere. The very last song of this evening is a musical delicacy: The drone in “Pilgrim” emits medieval flair from the very beginning. The drum beaten with the palm unfolds a warm and insisting sound. A miniature motet for three voices develops. Alas, this magical moment is not a long lasting one. Outside, however, the night is enchanted.

Zurück
Oben Unten