DL on Wiki

deepesttottenham

I am a Darkstar
OK, so this post is to go on with the conversation that was begun here -
http://forum.colour-ize.com/index.php/board,42.0.html
-  i.e. how to write a nice and big English Wikipedia article on DL so as to immortalize their greatness  : cool2:

As for me, I'm afraid I'm disqualified for this job since I'm neither a native speaker of English nor *any kind of* a German speaker
  :roll: :)  :angel:

Thank you for starting the thread, deepesttottenham!  :)

First of all I want to remind everyone to state out, where the informations are taken from! This is very important for articles that aren't confirmed by sources get this one on top:
Wiki meinte:
This article requires authentication or verification by an expert.
Please assist in recruiting an expert or improve this article yourself. See the talk page for details.
   :)

RaBBitFan meinte:
some ground rules that we should discuss .... ie what info is appropriate or not  we are all fans but not stalkers... I think that family and birthdays are out..... marriages and divorces as well....  what say you??
I agree, except birthdays. Because this is why we started the discussion about expanding the dl article. In my opinion, the year of birth (as far as we know) should be put in the article  :wink:
RaBBitFan meinte:
Lets find out who composed the first english wiki bit
It won't help, I believe... It was Tar-elwe on  6 November 2005 at 2:19pm.  :wink:
RaBBitFan meinte:
can we use articles found in magazines as info fodder?
We have to! See above. Every word has to be verificated!  :wink: And Wiki itself should be avoided as a source, this is not commen!
It's not that easy to write an dictionary article...

Thx for starting the new thread, deepesttottenham!

About the policy, I totally agree with Tapir and RaBBitFan.

Does somebody know, whether it is okay in Wiki to give reference written in different language?
At least I hope so, otherwise we might run into problems, since most articles are in German without official translation.

Tapir meinte:
It's not that easy to write an dictionary article...

That is true, but together we might stand a chance!  :-D

thanks deepesttottenham!!! :-D :-D :-D
  I will have to contact the magazines and see about using them for our purpose.....  I have a sideline magazine from July 99... and the interview is about DL but Alex is answering the questions about Kasmodiah... 

RE wikipedia

'It's not that easy to write an dictionary article...'

This ain't your oma's dictionary pumpkin...  :-D
this is wikipedia....

we have a vast palette at hand in which to paint our beloved DL in all the glorious light... we can(with legal consent of coarse) use youtube clips we can use audio bits of a interview or link a article elsewhere.... so many possibilities... :-D :-D :-
We may even with the blessing of those who run this forum :angel:
link this forum address on the wiki bit... hows that for self referencing : naughty: 

I have spent the last hour randomly browsing articles there (english only) and there appears to be sort chronological rhyme to the writing of the articles.... also there is a great bit of diversity in use of content...

for example  the Stokhausen article uses a direct quote about his view on 911 in order to show the complexity and depth of his person...

so this is why we need to scour the article written and interviews on youtube to glean a greater sense of DL...  let us not for get the past characters either.... nor dis Ivee Lee and such... they are after all DL  : pleased:

some articles are written by two or three different sources...  many band info articles are fan written....

I agree that birth years are ok but that birthdates and such are out....

Last and Foremost

Who here has the balls to write to either H. Alex or H. Horn and inform them that we are updating your wiki file and how do you want to go down history?? :roll: :roll:

NaNu  NaNu

RabBit

serves its servants it does :evil:

Does somebody know, whether it is okay in Wiki to give reference written in different language?

Just as said before me, it's not  onyl allowed, it's also very common. How many original sources you'll find in Czech? XD Our wikipedia is full of references from other languages.

But the link for the other thread doesn't work for me, it sends me to the main board  :|

As for the policy, it seems appropriate, but I think that things the artists talk about themselves ore OK. If I recall correctly, Mr. Veljanov spent half of his interview for one magazine describing the career of his daughter, so I think that mentioning that his daughter plays Gerda is not stalking, just mentioning that the tallent runs in the veins of the Veljanov family XD.

hummm fair enough Proixma.. point taken about the family bit...    did I miss something Gerda??? i do not know of this...

please enlighten us :-D

thanks

Rabbit, Gerda is the main character of H.-C. Andersen's "Snow Queen" tale. BTW, the alternative translation is "Ice Queen", which is "Koenigin aus Eis" in German *wink wink, nudge nudge*

I agree that birth years are ok but that birthdates and such are out....
BTW, why, are birthdates something private?  :-o We all know that Alexander's birthdate is. Well, he must have his reasons (like being happy when Rabbits ask whether he's in his mid-thirties as he appears to be  :wink:  : naughty:)
But what's wrong with adding Ernst's birthdate? Anyway, it can easily be found out by visiting his Myspace.

Also, is the German Wikipedia article on DL a good one? If there are volunteers, I guess it can be translated and used as a basis, and then The Rabbit will (have to  : naughty:) correct grammar mistakes.

Thanks for the update on Gerda:)

I guess if they are already giving out their birthdays then who am I to say no??
  I would like to read the article AV was talking about his Daughter in such a way...

Oh grammar errors are going to be corrected by rabbits friend who has a PHD in english... rabbits are lazy :lol:

Of note

since I am American  my english is quite different than Queens english over yonder.... we have alot of colloquialisms that may not work well with the english manner of speaking over on your side of the pond...

I think it best to try and merge the two english dialects .... to facilitate ease of read....  not to homogenize the wiki bit  but I think American english is more flexible than queens english  hey we have ghetto and Ebonics

nothing  like stroll'n the hood mov'n with einshizzel da noi'n bizzel : naughty:

cheers
Rabbit

Dear Rabbit, I have the article and... I have a scanner (OMG, are the mods going to kill me for this implicit talking :angel:?) Eh, but you don't understand German, do you? Well, if rabbits can be patient, I can translate it when my mid-year exams are over (right now I'm browsing through my old goth magazines that suddenly started to pile OVER MY ELECTROSTATICS PAPERS : cry:) BTW, I wanted to go see the piece where Ms. Veljanov is playing but I have no clue which one of the Schneekönigin it is :cry:

OK, Proxi's been a good girl and browsed the magazines. I have these DL articles: Zilo 07/08 2007, Gothic no.55 (2006/2007 winter), Sonic Seducer M'ERA LUNA 2007 Extraheft, Zilo 05 2007 EXtraheft (20 Years of...) I didn't count the Qntal, Helium Vola und AV ones though. I'm able to translate from German to English. But you have to be kind of patient. Or I can just send the articles to someone for whom these are not two foreign languages but he's a native speaker of at least one of them  :wink:.

Quote:
Who here has the balls to write to either H. Alex or H. Horn and inform them that we are updating your wiki file and how do you want to go down history?? rolleyes rolleyes

Lets ask some German here, since I think our virtuosos wouldn't be really happy to read my mail with things like... bad cases and weird expressions (I'll tell you a secret: Goethe Institute gives you exam only from grammar and you have four options. 25% chance you're right!) Or do you think DL will like the project more because my name matches one half of the new Veljanov's song : naughty:? Ah, I forgot - my real name is Vita, so if I were a bit cheakier I'd ask for a discount when I bought Porta Macedonia tickets XD. 

motion seconded go Vita go!

as far as the scanning and what not... I am truly thankful.... as far as moderators...ummm I guess we go until we hit a wall and end up failing our saving throw!-  lots of gray areas and remember I am American... I expect freedom of speech.... even here.... we are pushy sorts arent we :evil:

excellent home work!!    Ms. V plays?? what is it that she plays??

super.. as far as waiting  If I am a true fan I will get off my fluffy arse and start getting my german learn on....

oh yes welcome to the TDG

step forward give us your arm...
we'll take your brains too :-D

welcome

Rabbit

Wha, don't mind my idiocy, I wanted to write Miss and then messed up, so I was refering to his daughter playing, not his wife. See, what happens to people who learn too many languages?  : naughty: If you want some info before I translate the article for you: he doesn't mention his wife in the interview (even though she has... let's say the main share in the existence of the above mentioned daughter XD). Sure, we know it's because he doesn't want to talk about personal stuff and not because he forgot about her...

Hmmm, resulting America and Czech Republic are banned from the forum for the pushiness? : smile2: Well, as for Czechs, we're not really pushy but we're born with a healthy disrespect for law and an incredible ability to get out of law problems especially when it's economics and such (so no, we won't get away with a murder XD). Anarchistic country muhehe. And we behave way better when we're in Germany (so that I don't scare people around here XD).

Thanks for the welcoming! though it sounds a bit scary... in what state will I return when you release me?  :-D
Allright, now I should add something to the topic so that the thread is not closed down because of me...
Hmm, if there's some material in French, I can help too. I don't think there's latin info about DL, but  if it appeared, I'm happy to confirm that even old Romans listened to them XD. I've got the opportunity to lay hands on some Czech critics of their music (half translated BTW). The Czech article is a translation of the English wiki article so nothing interesting... 

errata noted

I am glad that Czechs are  they way you describe them... I had a Czech boss once I loved her  she was a no frills person... she was also the fairest supervisor I have ever worked with....  I should say that freedom of speech is a human right  but human opinion is optional...

I found another article lets see  its called interface version 16  October 99

' we have no idea about classifying our music, 'and we are glad that people don't usually try to compare us to other bands.'
'maybe we could called it moodyblueromanticavantpopgoth'  Ernst Horn being interviewed by Jeremy Rodell ~~ I think this would be a good addition to the wiki bit what do you all think??

he goes on to further say  'We just want the world to know that music made in Germany has more to offer than just rammstien, scorpions and milli vanilli.' EH

I <3 Ernst
&nbsp;
'in what state will I return when you release me?'
what state would you like? may I suggest Wisconsin??&nbsp; or euphoric... is nice this time of year

RaBBitFan meinte:
I found another article lets see&nbsp; its called interface version 16&nbsp;&nbsp; October 99

' we have no idea about classifying our music, 'and we are glad that people don't usually try to compare us to other bands.'
'maybe we could called it moodyblueromanticavantpopgoth'&nbsp;&nbsp; Ernst Horn being interviewed by Jeremy Rodell ~~ I think this would be a good addition to the wiki bit what do you all think??

he goes on to further say&nbsp; 'We just want the world to know that music made in Germany has more to offer than just rammstien, scorpions and milli vanilli.' EH

Definitelly sounds great! I admit I don't really remember what the articles I have are about but I'll re-read them when the weekend comes (You know, having 6 exams in the next four days are not really the best motivation to spend time drooling over goth magazines, it's enough I got my desk in such a state that when I saw the cover of Winter Fish Testosterone after trying to learn physics and do calligraphy at the same time I thought "Crap, I spilled the ink on it! What am I going to do? And then I realized the cover actually had those dark spots and I didn't spill anything : smile2:) . And I love how Mr. Horn described their music :-D.

RaBBitFan meinte:
'in what state will I return when you release me?'
what state would you like? may I suggest Wisconsin??&nbsp; or euphoric... is nice this time of year
:-D I've got friends in Idaho and California and Pennsylvania XD. I was a bit affraid of loosing some of my limbs or IQ points or brain cells or something like that. Man-eating rabbits, probably?&nbsp; : naughty: Like in the Pet Shop of Horrors?

BTW, what are we going to do about the pictures? All of the photos on net are actually copyrighted so we'll have to ask some nice photographer to be so kind and let us use his ones?

The German Wiki article could definitly serve as a base. I might volunteer to translate, but it will take some time since I am very busy with work these days.

About pictures: I think all photos in the German Wiki are from Steven Riou, who is also a member of the colour-ize team. I am sure we can ask him, whether we can use at least the same pictures for the English Wiki. The best thing would be to have a good version of the article first. Usually it is easier for other people to give their consent, if they can already see that the product is going to be of good quality.

The same holds for EH and AV. We should first finish the article and then ask them (or the management) or their consent and maybe ask specific questions, if we have any.

About the "maybe we could called it moodyblueromanticavantpopgoth" thing, I agree with Vita - it is a nice quote and a good example for Ernst's humor.
Or "humour"?

Dunno, I think we should decide for AE or BE and keep it through the article. And right now it seems that our strongest connection to native speakers is in the US. So I would vote for AE.

Zurück
Oben Unten