Ernst presenting a radio show

dreamdancer

I am a Fama Tuba
Hi everybody,

I think, this has not been mentioned on the international forum before (besides the "bi lingual project" of RaBBitfan). Last Saturday, Ernst has been presenting the radio show "Classic, Pop, etc" on the German radio station "Deutschlandfunk". He was talking about his "mazy" life as a musician. Since quite some details about his past were unkown to me (and believe me, I read almost all interviews available in the web), I felt it should be shared and discussed within the Not-German-Speaking community as well as it is within the German forum.

Anybody interested to follow the discussion in English, send me a PM with your email and I will provide you with a foundation (practiced my translation skills :wink:)

The playlist, put together by Ernst, is provided by "Deutschlandfunk" at: http://www.dradio.de/dlf/playlist/dlf_k ... op/871886/

Looking forward to discussing with you,
dreamdancer

Hey DD

is 'Hold On' and electric prunes song??

What did Ernst mean when he was talking about the rents and landlord thing??

Is Ernst Bavarian??  I hear Bavaria is like Texas  everythings bigger?? true?? or no

I will have more questions later
:-D Rabbit fan

Dear Rabbit,
RaBBitFan meinte:
is 'Hold On' and electric prunes song??
No, it is by "Psychedelic" (Sharon Tandy, London, 1967) - I got this information from the Helium Vola page.
RaBBitFan meinte:
What did Ernst mean when he was talking about the rents and landlord thing??
Rents in Munich are the most expensive in Germany also living expenses are very high. However, if there are old buildings with tenants that have an old contract the rents cannot be raised at will. As landlord, first, you have to drive out the old tenants, than renovate the building and then ask the new tenants much higher rents. The first part is probably the most difficult. So, drive the tenants mad e. g. with the music Ernst chose.  : naughty:
RaBBitFan meinte:
Is Ernst Bavarian??  I hear Bavaria is like Texas  everythings bigger?? true?? or no
Yes, he is from Munich, which is in Bavaria. Bigger? No, I do not think so.  : smile2: Bavarians speak a very distinct dialect. If you learned German at school and go to Bavaria, you might not understand a single word. This definitly happens to non-native English speakers, when they get to Texas. (Or when you listen to a Texan on a conference)  Also, Bavarians are generally proud about their local traditions. The region is quite conservative. However, Munich is different.
RaBBitFan meinte:
I will have more questions later
Do not hesitate...

dreamdancer

Well I think that if any piece was going to cause the tenets to flee it would be in the chains of practical constraints... ewhe and yuck!! : naughty:  but I love Ernst none the less.

So off the subject a little bit  is Mani Bianchi(hands white) is that in response to the clean hands incident over in Italy?? I'm not the average doltish american however even in todays times I am inexplicably uneducated RE the other parts of the world.. So humor me if you will

What do the Germans feel about DL and Ernst and all of that? Is he a native son as a hero in Bavaria? or a rogue curse?  (me myself I say a little of both : naughty:)  What was his motive RE the Johnny Bumm work  was he striking out against the evils of TV or What?  What was his cause belli?( reason for war) 

What was the significance of teaching his 4 year old nice how to count out 7/8 time?? Is he part of the 'fear of fours' club?  Or is there something between Ernst and the other musicians mentioned at the end of the radio show? 

So many loose ends so pardon the random fire of questions... some yes rhetorical ......

Oh yes INFINITE GRATITUDE!!

snogs RAbbit :-D

RaBBitFan meinte:
So off the subject a little bit   is Mani Bianchi(hands white) is that in response to the clean hands incident over in Italy??
Not exactly. "White hands" were the symbol of anti-globalization protests during the G8 in Genoa, Italy. Afterwards, they washed their hands - I am sure  :wink:
RaBBitFan meinte:
What was his motive RE the Johnny Bumm work  was he striking out against the evils of TV or What?  What was his cause belli?( reason for war) 
Probably, yes. And how passive people become by consuming media. And there are some nice sarcastic parts about German politics and politicians (e.g. Helmut Kohl who was chancellor those days).
RaBBitFan meinte:
What was the significance of teaching his 4 year old nice how to count out 7/8 time??
What you learn when you are young you absorb more naturally compared to thing learned later. Everybody should be able to do different than four beats. Yes! Not "fear of fours" but "lovely odds"  :-D
RaBBitFan meinte:
Oh yes INFINITE GRATITUDE!!
It's enough! Stop it! Stop it now - or I will go mad.

Ah thanks for the G8 reminder--now that you mention it  it makes perfect sense..  Odd odds  im for it..  say you seem to know quite a bit about music yourself... you knew that maybe was 3 against 4?? do tell....  I will have to look into the Hermet Kohl thing..
  to true about the youth and their super human ability to learn and absorb info... did you know that one is not supposed to let infants listen to music in minor keys??? I guess it can mess with their sense of pitch???  Ok I will stop with gratitude thing... :wink:

but could you would you send that to me again my computer will not let me open that file... I had to upgrade it last week and nothing in adobe will open :cry: if you could

Say what is that you do for a living?? a conference in Texas??? yep they are special down in them thar parts.....
: heart2: : heart2:

Ps there is a book by Umberto Eco RE the Arch poet I have not read it yet but If I can remember the title I will pass it along :-D :-D

thanks Rabbit

About the Helmut Kohl thing - it might be difficult for you since no names are mentioned within the play, as far as I remember. But when you hear and see politicians almost every day on TV (what a joke) you recognize the voices. Also some subtle hints like "Äpfel mit Äpfeln und Birnen mit Birnen"  - "apples with apples and pears with pears" refers to a phrase that one should not compare "apples with pears" - I do not know whether you have something similar in English. Additionally, Kohl was also referred to as "pear" in cabarets (due to the shape of his head, in German sometimes the head is also called "Birne", but that is coll. ).

And this is just one example.

RaBBitFan meinte:
did you know that one is not supposed to let infants listen to music in minor keys???
Never heard about that - sounds like a hoax to me...
RaBBitFan meinte:
Say what is that you do for a living?? a conference in Texas??? yep they are special down in them thar parts.....
I am a scientist (physicist) and frequently visit international conferences. Once I heard somebody from Texas giving an oral presentation - I got only half of what he was saying. The guy was doing his research in New York, of course.

Maybe - 4 against 3, how do I know? Well, I have a little project with Lysanthe from this Forum, writing down scores of some "Deine Lakaien" songs. And I just love that piece. Took a while to figure out the rhythm, but in the chorus it becomes quite obvious. Actually, 3 quarter notes are separated by 2 eighth pauses which results in the nice syncopated rhythm. Ah, I play the piano and I used to have lessons for 10 years or so, when I was a school kid.

What is your connection to music and what do you do for a living?

RE Pandora question of the bookkk the book title is 'baudolino'  its about the arch poet who wrote the burana codex... or at least had a major hand in it... the name of the rose was an incredibly chewy book  but fabulous... Im reading his book  turning back the clock -hot wars and media populism... its great the man is a true revolutionary genius!!

RE my work  I am a nurse.....  as far as music goes  I had piano lessons from 7 years old to 15 years old- many of my teachers were not that great... what can you expect living in a trailer park in the bowels of Wyoming!! : naughty: quality is not what comes to mind :evil:  I sang in school (in Washington state) and played french horn a bit  my voice was the best of all three If I would have been able to practice the french horn at home I would have been really great looking back at it all now...  lets say at 15 I had to well hit the restart  :p button and I never touch a piano again... I did try a go at voice in my early 20's  but The lessons were expensive and frustrating... so I went to school to be nurse  I had to make a living..

So DL, HV and the boys were a shocking reintroduction into music..I ceased listening to the pablum on the radio and for 2 years straight I have listened to DL HV QNTAL Veljanov on my ipod.... I have fallen in love with music again... for that I am eternally grateful :-D

RaBBitFan meinte:
RE Pandora question of the bookkk the book title is 'baudolino'  its about the arch poet who wrote the burana codex... or at least had a major hand in it... the name of the rose was an incredibly chewy book  but fabulous... Im reading his book  turning back the clock -hot wars and media populism... its great the man is a true revolutionary genius!!

ah okay :)

Good morning DD et all

Ok so re reading the translation of the radio show take over by Ernst... I have questions... some culturally related and some not....
Quote from Ernst
'And I soon got interested in music from
more recent times: Carl Orff, of course, since I am Bavarian, but also Henze, Stockhausen, Nono.
However I had soon to realize that in the eyes of the ladies - these things become important at a
certain time - I was unfortunately quite an odd duck' ["schräger Vogel"]  this is a 3 part question

1. what do Orff, Henze, Stockhausen and Nono have to do with being important in the 'eyes of the ladies'  at a certain time?  what time?? : smile2:
2. how culturally different is Bavaria to Germany?- I dont need a huge explanation just a bit or two
3. DD are you Bavarian?

Rabbits needs to know its tricksy things it does.. : heart2:

To answer the questions of RaBBit Fan:

1) Ernst refers to adolescence and that being different (and "odd duck") - in his case the interest in "Neue Musik" - does not make you attractive for the opposite sex. I know that problem very well myself, a girl with strong interest in mathematics and computers ...

3) No, I am most definitly not. My origins are in northern Germany. I grew up in a small town near Hamburg. There is an ever continuing quarrel between north and south - and a Bavarian might call me a "Saupreiss" ("Prussian sow (or sod)"). Which is an ignorant insult, of course. :cool: Especially since the area I am from belonged to Prussia only 20 years or so and was Danish until 1864.  : pleased: Still I will try to go on and try to answer question

2) It depends the level of your point of view. E. g., beer consumption is quite high in all regions of Germany, but the type of beer differs: in Northern Germany you drink "Pils", preferable of bitter taste, in Cologne (I live there now. It is quite in the middle but far to the West. Bavarians, though, will call this "Prussia", too.) you drink "Kölsch" (no comment), and in Bavaria "Hefeweizen", which is rather sweet. And locals will call "their" beer the "right" one.
Religion is another point, perhaps. Most Germans are of Christian faith. In Bavaria the majority is Roman Catholic, while in northern Germany most people are Protestant.
Others may find better examples.

Two things, are rather particular: Bavaria calls itself a "Freistaat" ("free state", the second one in Germany is Saxony). When the FRG was founded in 1949 and the German federal parliaments had to vote on the constitution "Grundgesetz" - all votes were "yes" but the Bavarians', who said "nay". Did'nt help them much, though  : naughty: The "Freistaat" thing does not have any legal consequences.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlheinz_Stockhausen

Ok here is a wiki bit about Stockhausen.... I say he did make quite a statement about 9/11.... I understand what he is saying but I can't imagine If I had lost someone that I should feel the same... although  there is a healing sort of quality to his perspective.  I love the quote by Marconi about his comparison to Beethoven...and the genius of  successful music standing the test of time..  When in the future do you think that one of Ernst's pieces will be a national anthem?? 

I hear there is a commune of hippies on a boat somewhere claiming their own state/country hood.....

Where can we do that?? I want one.... I name you the royal scientist * SCIENCE* And high musician  : naughty: : naughty: : naughty:  But what piece to make our anthem?? so many to choose from... how bout we leave stupid and in the chains of practical constraints out of the hat... : vampy: 

Speaking of stupid... that part about arty farty and what not the (chorus)  is that not the Alfred Hitchcock theme slowed way down??

what do you think...

I can see the connection now especially with the controlled chaos and sound theory blend in some of Ernst's pieces... especially in his Bridges like in omnia sol temperat..

Aphex twins mentioned in the Stockhausen article are a great electronica band but I think Square pusher is just a little better...

I have the CD if you are interested in hearing a bit of that....
Well happy new year missy I hope you and yours have a great one :-D  Juno reactor is fantastic too...

I will HV is coming back :lol:

What role playing game do you engage in?? War Crack : smile2:
Family friends and my older girl and their older girl are getting schooled in the second edition of Dungeons and Dragons next week... paper D&D yeah taking me back.. roll the die and pray you make your saving throw :-D :-D

snogs Rabbit

RaBBitFan meinte:
Ok ok the new music thing.... ummm I confused... stockhausen if I understand my history of electronica well aren't they like one of the first industrial bands ??? and Nono too??    Alice am I in the wrong hole??
[\quote]

Nono, exactly that hole - Karl Heinz Stockhausen and Hans Werner Henze are two very important German composers, Luigi Nono was from Italy. The latter married Nuria Schönberg - Arnold Schönberg's daughter - the commutiy is small  :-D) All of them were inventing/developing electronic music.

About his 9/11 statement: Excentric is understatement when in comes to Stockhausen (nevertheless a genius). However, if you have not yet read it, have a look at his declaration with regard to this citation: http://www.stockhausen.org/message_from_karlheinz.html

"Stupid" chorus and Hitchcock theme? No, I cannot find that these are somewhat similar.

RaBBitFan meinte:
Where can we do that?? I want one.... I name you the royal scientist * SCIENCE* And high musician   : naughty: : naughty: : naughty:  But what piece to make our anthem??

Then, I name you the BIG WHITE RABBIT - which is head of state, of course. : smile2: About the anthem I have to think a little while.

About the radio show - Ernst did not mention any that he took any composition classes. I was very surprised about this fact, since before I would have sworn he went to Hamburg , because Ligeti was teaching there. Seems, I was totally wrong.

dreamdancer meinte:
Then, I name you the BIG WHITE RABBIT - which is head of state, of course. : smile2: About the anthem I have to think a little while.

Nono, exactly that hole ---  excellent  : smile2:

Nono  how bout the the Poison Dwarf grove : naughty: : naughty:...and I am the fool  the court idiot....savant..5th level druid of the Lakaiens.... the royal bar tender!!  and listener... we must protect the royalty  the can't listen to drivel now can they : smile2:

About the radio show - Ernst did not mention any that he took any composition classes. I was very surprised about this fact, since before I would have sworn he went to Hamburg , because Ligeti was teaching there. Seems, I was totally wrong.

Ernst is a slippery devil.. : smile2: I think he went into his toxic midget trip and came out compositionally trained  in at level2 out at 20th level with all sorts of stat bonuses. :angel:

I have to get my learn on about Stockhausen and Nono and company... I'm clearly under educated.... again high musician of  the Poison dwarf grove-- you have performed your duties with perfection..
:wink:
Rabbit

Zurück
Oben Unten