Feather's mom is also a big fan!

feather

I am a Darkstar
i was talking to my mom on the phone last night, as i do once a week, every week, and we got onto the subject of Deine Lakaien.

Yes, my mom knows who they are - she's heard various Lakaien songs coming from my room (when i'm in the USA, that is), and Ingmar and i have made it our business to see that she gets properly educated in everything Lakaien-ish ;)

i sent her White Lies for her birthday last year, and it quickly became one of her favorite albums. (we have also given her WFT, Dark Star live '92, and Dark Star (as a record, not cd), and i plan to keep sending her more and more until she has them all :) )

anyway, she was telling me how much she liked them, and said something very nice (which was actually the whole point of this thread).

She said, about White Lies, "There are very few perfect albums, and this is one of them."

it sort of blew my mind that she just came out and said it that way, especially since she is someone who has a huge record collection, and likes all kinds of music (including Rammstein, Nine inch Nails, and Hanson!!).

i just wanted to share that little "moment" with all of you...

Hey Feather - that ’s great!!!
It is fantastic to hear that people with a huge record collection and a wide spread tast in music (Rammstein - Hanson)like "our guys"!

I also tried to get my family listen to Deine Lakaien and so my mom came with me to the concert in Bielfeld in November. First she felt a little strange but after a while she was really kind of nervous, expecting what might come...
After the concert she told me that she does not like the way Alexander talks and that his gestures are quite strange but she really liked the music. Meanwhile she owns "White Lies" (and loves "Paryer"), "Acoustic", "Kasmodiah" and "The secrets of the silver tongue". Also one aunt and one uncle of mine are fans, while my dad still calls Alexander a foghorn... :p

Yvonne

a foghorn..? (raises an eyebrow...)

yes, my mom really really likes them a lot!! she and my dad are trying to arrange it so that they can come to germany in the spring to visit me and ingmar.

she would really love to see DL perform, so i told her about the WGT, and now she wants to go!!! (if only we could buy tickets for just one day, instead of having to pay for the whole damned weekend!!)

(feather tries to imagine her parents walking around in leipzig, surrounded by thousands of gothic people... ;) )

Hi Feather!

I think it's great if you can share one of the very important things in your life with your mother. But then she seams always to be open to the "strangest" (in the means of non- non- non- mainstream music ;)) kind of music.

My Mom and my Brother are not very interested in music (that gene comes from Pa) and I never ever tried to make them a Lakaien- Fan.

But I managed to get my sister to the concert in Braunschweig in spring 2002. She is also a great music- fan and involved in the alternative music scene for some years. She even played in a girl band and I think she has a good taste in music.

But Deine Lakaien couldn't convince her to become a fan. She told me that their sound is to "mediaeval" for her taste. I wondered about that a lot because the only song with a bit of mediaeval character was "Kiss".
Maybe the unusual arrangement -two violinists and one cellist- and the fact that she usually listens to German Rock (Blumfeld, Die Sterne and mostly bands of the so called Hamburg School) made her think this way.

But she is the only person in my family who doesn't wonder when I visit 5 concerts of the same band in two weeks. :eek: ::

As for "White Lies" I think it is not as "bad" in comparison to the former albums as most of the people in this forum think. After I stopped listening to it for 3 months and then started again I realised that I liked it much more then before. Probably distance is the factor that reveals the true quality of a DL- album.

An believe me, in a few years fans will say: "The new album is crap but WL was really great..." :p

Anne

Hi, Anne!

I've got a friend who likes exactly the same bands your sister does, but she likes Deine Lakaien, too (even without me having to convince her). Unfortunately she couldn't come to see any of their concerts, but she willjoin me to see QNTAL next week.
I think it's really great if people have a widespread taste in music (or how do you say that in englisch?), and I tried to show my mum some of the Lakaien stuff, but she thinks it's depressive.
Well, I don't agree to that at all, but everyone is different in that. (Just read the "Indigo Man I"-thread, that text doesn't really sound depressed ;))

Greetings
Julia

Depressing??? Don't think so!

Hi Julia, nice to read from you again! How have you been?

The depressing appearance of DL-music to people is a thing I've been thinking about quite often.
Probably it's because the DL-sound is to exotic for some people.
And they don't know Alexander and Ernst as we do (well, I think we believe we know them that well ;)). A lot of people have never seen their kind of "winking" stage performances and have never read any of their interviews.

I know, DL don't have that kind of allisfun- mentality, but IMO in the worst case you could say: melancholic.
The only album with some indications of depression might be "Winter Fish Testosterone" but that doesn't mean I'm getting depressed by listening to it.
On the contrary, listening to them mostly cheers me up a bit/ warms my heart as you know. :)

But then this is again a case of taste and there's no accounting for taste.

PS: "Widespread taste" sounds ok for me, but since I'm not a native english speaker I might be wrong.

Re: Depressing??? Don't think so!

On the contrary, listening to them mostly cheers me up as you know. :)

Deine Lakaien's music is odd in a way that it gives you somewhat weird combinations of (almost) cheerful songs and also those which make you stop and sit down for a moment.

I like melancholy and depressing music very much indeed. I mean if it's brought to your ears in the right way.

Of course it depends on the listener, for instance, when listening 'Return' I come to think of it as a sad song.

ya, when it comes to cool moms, mine is one of the coolest :)

its great, to have her so open-minded about my, and my sister's, music. she's (almost) never disapproved of what we listen to (she doesn't like Marilyn Manson's music, but respects him as an artist, and she didn't like the one and only Bikini Kill tape i brought home with me, but now i don't blame her ;) )

we had a similar talk last sunday, about Apocalyptica. i sent her one of their cd's, and she LOVED it.

she was telling me about some lady she worked with (who plays the cello), with whom she was also talking about Apocalyptica, and who made a face when my mom told her that they play Metallica and other heavy metal music. my mom reacted by saying something like, "Aw c'mon. if you didn't know it was heavy metal, you wouldn't KNOW it was heavy metal!"

now she wants me to send her more Apo. stuff... it's sure a great feeling, to get someone else hooked on the bands you like! ::

i wish everyone could have a mom like mine :)

Gonna see apocalyptica march_26.

I don't like so much of their new songs (though I've heard only one). Plays Metallica with four cellos was great.

Hi, Anne!

I don't think my mum meant the contents of the songs, it's more about the voice lines. I think she has similar problems with Alexanders voice as Yvonnes mum has.
I for myself like his voice very much (otherwise I wouldn't listen to it), it makes me feel understood and it comforts me. But I can understand that you can't really listen to the positive aspects of the song if you don'tlike the voice.
Like teemue I've always been listening to melancholic music, even when I mostly heard radio music but I never saw anything negative in that, on the contrary, it gives me a lot of emotion, and that's what I'm looking for in listening to music.
And if someone sings about a loss, that means that there must have been something very good before, that's my way of thinking.
And anyway, Lakaien-songs often have a positive ending, and you can only enyoy good things, if you know bad things.
OK, I'll stop now, before it gets to much into old proverbs ;)

Feather, it's always a shame if people restrict their own horizon by building up prejudices, and it's great if your mum tries to break them.
Did that other women listen to Apocalyptica's music, or did she just say that when she heard the word "metal"?

@ Julia
i guess the lady was interested in them until my mom told her that they play heavy metal! then she sort of turned up her nose at them... i really don't understand people sometimes...

You guys are really lucky! I took my mom and my brother to see a Deine Lakaien concert and they didn't like it really... :.( My mother also has a problem with Alexander's voice, so I don't think there's a possibility she'll change her mind in the future... I also made her listen to Helium Vola, but she doesn't like Sabine's voice either... ::

Hi!

@ Julia & Legolas: I've told my mother that there are more mothers thinking the same way like her in the world ;-) - she also thinks that Alexander's voice sounds very depressive - I don't think so, but unfortunately I was not able to convince her.. I tried to explain to her that the lyrics are not depressive, perhaps melancholic, but often the songs have hopeful ends (like somebody already said - sorry I forgot who it was..).

I've got also friends who think that I' m getting depressed listening to Deine Lakaien - but this isn't true - I love the music and I need it sometimes, then I cry, I laugh - for me, it's pure emotion! :) But there are so many people who don't understand it :: .. ;)

Kalinka

What is wrong out there?

I listen eg. doom/death-music and nobody's ever said that I'd be depressed by listening them. And I'm a Christian!
And hearing that someone really is conserned that you listen DL is somewhat weird. Almost outrageous.
You don't have to convince them that Deine Lakaien isn't depressing/melancholic. I think their music deserves to get that sign. Please, don't take it away.

There's something wrong with the audience.. fix them. :)

oh - I don't think that my friends meant it too serious ;) (I hope they are just kidding when saying something about depressive..) And I know that I would never stop hearing DL because of them :) - they don't have to hear it (ok.. sometimes in my car they have to. hehe)

greetz Kalinka :p

Well, she not interessted in a special kind of music... In fact, she's not interessted in music at all...

that's really too bad... i just can't fathom people who DON'T like music!!!

Zurück
Oben Unten