The Future of Helium Vola?

Gaberl

I am a Darkstar
Ahoy all,

Out of curiosity, has there been any word on future Helium Vola projects? Since the release of Fuer Euch, Die Ihr Liebt over a year ago, I've heard absolutely nothing new besides the "Radio Futuro" video on Youtube and some website reviews. While I absolutely loved the album, I got the impression by the nature of it, that it was a sort of finale to the project. Has there been any word or comment by Ernst or Sabine on Helium Vola's future? Thanks very much for any info, guys!

Hi Gaberl,

I am sure that there will be another Helium Vola album coming. Obviously, Ernst was busy with Lakaien in the past year :D Sabine on the other hand has been working on her per-sonat project, which released "Le Roman de la Rose" last year - French love songs from the 13th century. Information is available in German only, but you can get an impression at Amazon.

How did you get to know Helium Vola? Especially with you being from Philadelphia?

A very curious
dd

Hey there!

Well, I actually came to know Helium Vola through another German music project called "E Nomine." When I first formally began learning German over five years ago, I was trying to find some German media to immerse myself in, so that I could learn the language a bit better. Of course this a bit difficult, considering how the most foreign music you hear on American television/ radio is usually a British rock band or some Spanish rap music. (These are music policies I personally dislike, but, whatever's profitable and makes money, right?)
So my main source of finding "world" music was actually on Youtube, back in its infant stages :p . I was already acquainted with Rammstein (although their lyrics really aren't the best for learning :D ), so through them I discovered the wonders of German techno: E Nomine.
I really liked their style, which I listened to almost religiously. So I tried to find another "sophisticated, yet upbeat and electronic" musical style, which lead me to "Omnis Mundi Creatura" of Helium Vola. I eventually bought the album and ended up loving it (which in turn lead me to Ernst Horn's personal projects, and finally Deine Lakaien :p).

Sorry if I rambled on a bit too much there, I tend to do that sometimes. And, well, that's awesome news. I think I'll check out some of Sabine's work. :)

no rambling, no - just exactly what I wanted to know. Very interesting - actually you took the other way round compared to most of the German fans :D Have you found the way to Qntal as well? Which of Ernst's solo works did you dig into?

About the future of Helium Vola: Today I got the new Sonic Seducer with an article about DL where Ernst announces that he is finishing another HV album. There is no release date given yet, but I guess it will be out this year (maybe before summer? Please :ympray: ).

I've actually bought a few Qntal albums. They're alright, probably Ozymandias is my favorite, followed by the first one (I). I think they might be just a bit too quiet for my tastes, unfortunately.
I got "The Skies Over Baghdad" a few years back, at first I didn't care for it: it sounded like a lot of random sounds thrown together with looping audio. After awhile I got into it a bit more and gave it a closer look. While rough, most of it seemed well put-together with an (obviously) unique style, and after a few listens, actually got me a little emotional :) . I can't say that I got a unique message from it, except for the usual "war is bad" with a suggestion that George Bush Senior may have been a bit too eager to deploy the troops (although, the Second Gulf War was one of the few wars actually supported by most Americans).
My friend from Bavaria shipped me "Johnny Bumms Wake" and "Lili Marleen, Baghdad 2/91" over the summer. I thought Johnny Bumm was pretty interesting, although I REALLY had no idea what was going on the first time through. Most of it was... way beyond my German-speaking skill level, and I know very little contemporary German history. I *think* I got the message that the media can be harmful, and it might be killing Germany. I can probably assume the album wasn't intended for foreigners, lol.
Lili Marleen was nice though, it seemed like the same theme as "Baghdad" but with a more Helium Vola style.

Overall, I enjoy the solo work. It's not usually pretty, but it's different in a refreshing sort of way. It's almost like the "abstract art" of the music world, haha.

And wow he's finishing one so soon? I guess he doesn't really take a break, does he? lol

Gaberl meinte:
I can probably assume the album wasn't intended for foreigners, lol.

I think, you are right about Johnny Bumm - it helps a lot to know about contemporary German history. On the other hand this work has many levels, which are not easily disentangled. And some things are just about kidding around like this burping in the "kithchen" track (no. 5). Always makes me laugh (not very grown-up, I know :p ). I think, it is also about media consumption, not just criticism about the media alone. And of course, it is about German history...

I respect your humor of it, but I personally found it disturbing, haha. A little kid singing followed by a chorus of burping and chanting "wurstsemmel" was a little weird to me lol... Would this perhaps be part of the symbolism of excessive media consumption? :D

Anyway, would you like to help me out a little again? :) Johnny Bumm has actually been pretty educational to me, for example, "Genschman" leading me to the story Hans Genscher in East Germany. I have a vague idea of what some other parts are recorded from, and what they may represent, but I'm not really sure. If you could maybe clarify and give me some history, that'd be pretty awesome :) .

The first is "Jede Menge Spannung." It sounds like a combination of two recordings put together, with one man reporting the results of a catastrophe, with the other shrugging it off.
The second is "Liebe Jugend!" ... Which sounds a bit like a bit of audio from one of Hitler's speeches (if I'm terribly wrong, please don't hate me, haha).
"Traum" seems to be expressing annoyance with an obsession of sports, and "Allerdings" is mocking a talk-show, correct?
I'm really not sure what to make of "Kurze Pause." Perhaps an annoyance with an increasingly lazy society?

Those are the ones i'm having difficulty dissecting. I know I'm asking for a lot here, so please don't feel like you need to or that it's terribly urgent :p If you have the time, as always, I'm extremely grateful :x

about Johnny Bumm's wake

It is nice, to dig into Johnny Bumm again. Actually, Ernst mentioned in an interview that the title "Johnny Bumm's wake" is a reference to “Finnegan’s wake” by James Joyce, where the inner monologue is the most important stylistic device. He also said that one should not take this too seriously and that the whole thing should be too funny to do so.

Gaberl meinte:
The first is "Jede Menge Spannung." It sounds like a combination of two recordings put together, with one man reporting the results of a catastrophe, with the other shrugging it off.
The samples are taken from commercials for a commercial TV channel and for videos. The combination creates the impression just as you suggested. The "report" lists different disasters and accidents as air crashs, shipwrecks, mine accidents en passant (actually, one almost expects to hear "and even more") where "thousands of people die" while only "few are saved".

Speeches of two different man are mixed in "Liebe Jugend". The first is indeed Hitler, the second is Heinrich Lübke, the second president of Germany, who was a bad public speaker (later he suffered from cerebral sclerosis, which had an additional impact there).

"Traum", track eight, is about the reunification of Germany. You here people singing the national anthem, fireworks, and chancellor Kohl saying "yes". Maybe you understand the sample in English right before the next one - I do not really get, where it has been taken from. Then a reporter is commenting on a meeting between Hitler and chancellor Hindenburg - "the young and the old Germany are shaking hands" followed by "I have a dream" (Martin Luther King, I guess). Then back to the celebration of the reunification, where somebody states "Germany is again a single country, Germany regains its sovereignty."

"Allerdings" is about a a talk-show. Actually, the sample is taken from a real incident. Nina Hagen, a German rock singer, was insulting the talk master and the other guests. (here you see the part of the show on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3ONOMeHc0)

In "Kurze Pause" you hear once more Hitler talking (taken from the same sample as in "Liebe Jugend"), but now he is interupted by samples from a talk master of an afternoon show, which I would call totally insignificant, announcing a break for commercials.

I hope, this answers your questions.

not to intrude on teh J.Bumm educational moment :D one because I can't =p~ and two you both seem to have unraveled the mystery. ;) ... but a new Helium Vola??? yes?? with Maya influences again and excaliber? Mabon vs the Mayab throwdown :)) :)) :)) :))

indeed we can't wait..but as we have learned via the purchasing process of said music we will have to wait long after it is on the market
speaking of which how does a rabbitfan get her paws on Sabines' french folk song cd??

PS Thank you other American person for entertaining our DD she is very very thinky..we have a hard time keeping pace with her :ymhug:

Rabbitfan

Aaaah! Sorry to take over a month to get back to you! >.< Things got really busy, and I more or less forgot about the forum.

Outstanding information, I appreciate your citations, learning experiences are always fun :) . It really is an interesting ambience Ernst managed to build. Also, that's a pretty frightening voice that Nina Hagen has, lol.

And yaaaaaaay! I'm looking forward to Quodlibet ^_^ Excalibur sounds fantastic, what a beautiful combination of vocals and electronica. Summer can't get here fast enough...

But please don't tell me dear Mr. Horn is buying this 2012 Mayan prophecy kacke >.< (assuming that's what the Mayan prophecy tracks are about).

And of course, Rabbitfan, lol.

Gaberl meinte:
I more or less forgot about the forum.
Forgot about us? Shame on you ;)

No, I do not believe that Ernst is buying this prophecy thing at all - he is quite a reasonable guy. I think, he just got interested in the history and culture of the Maya, which are indeed fascinating.

Don't let Miss Persephone Currie deride you for you absence .... half the year shes underground looking a god particle.... but she is something to behold when she surfaces.

I love the way Ernst expresses the modern ancient world very alpha and omega..

well met Gaberl...what part of the states are you from?

Replying 3 months later... lol. Sorry guys >.<

RaBBitFan meinte:
Don't let Miss Persephone Currie deride you for you absence .... half the year shes underground looking a god particle.... but she is something to behold when she surfaces.

I love the way Ernst expresses the modern ancient world very alpha and omega..

well met Gaberl...what part of the states are you from?
Pennsylvania; the Philadelphia suburbs area. I'm not actually living *in* the city, but it's just easier to say I am, haha. I'm attending school right on the city's border too... overall it's a pretty okay part of the states with stuff to do, lol. Portland's a pretty happening place too, I'd imagine?

And oh yeah, DL and Helium Vola has a very distinct sound. I was always impressed by how Helium Vola could create such an effective medieval/ techno hybrid. It's a pity there's not enough of a US/Canadian fanbase for DL to have a North American tour :p (or Helium Vola too.. though I don't think they tour?) Perhaps one day I'll start saving up for a flight to Deutschland haha. I actually did an exchange program over the summer in Nurnberg, but unfortunately left a month before the Indicator tour :( . Pity.

I know Dreamdancer said she was into physics. When you say that she's "underground" looking at "god particles"... Is she actually doing work/ research on the Higgs boson? If so, please, tell me more about that lol

welcome back
Geberl... :D
what is it you do that keeps you from posting here.?? could it be mad science as well?? at an elite college?? :-B clearly there is a connection of DL/HV and any other said project variable of Alex V and Ernst H....and mad science.
There are others here...(of which I am not part of that guild L-) )
Damn shame about being one month premature to depart form Germany before the indicator tour... I am hoping to see them live before I die :D

Portland is weird and me I am keeping it weirder... its what we do here :D Portland has the most strip clubs per capita as well as police shootings.. neither related to the other.. :-s
everyone here (according to the 'geek Love' Authoress Kathleen Dunn)... has 3 lives.. usually it goes stripper, 8-| /and/or Fire dancer :-\ and/or DJ or vaudevillian Performer =)) or 'sound experimentation' :p in classic voice demographics here we are very mezzi and tenor heavy.. we are in part 'over mezzi'd'

I agree with you about HV and I would love to see HV live.! ;;)
I would love to hear what German fans who have seen them live post their thoughts on that!! Well if you can't go in person... Binary osmosis is the next best thing.. DD writes a mean music review...Its the next to next almost best thing to being there myself.. @-)

Sabine's new album is gorgeous just gorgeous!! Her voice is ethereal and weighted its hopeful in a wistful way... complex and clear... :ymsigh: Ernst's little bird has flown solo..and I would happily buy anything she does.

In your youtubery did you run across Qntal?? they are pretty good as well..until Qntal 6 ...but Qntal 1,2,3,4,5 are each fabulous... : :D

In regards to the dancer who dreams and my colorful description of her...I rarely see her post in late winter spring.. then she is all over the place..at least on the English forums in regards to her hunt for particles, that's a question best left for her to answer ..I am afraid that is just too heavy of a topic for my poor pleblian brain...

( pardon any typos and sentence structure..)
best regards
Rabbit

RaBBitFan meinte:
I agree with you about HV and I would love to see HV live.! ;;)
I would love to hear what German fans who have seen them live post their thoughts on that!!

As far as I know HV never toured :-\ But I totally agree with you: Wanna see them live @-) So - if they start a tour you'll come over the big wide ocean? ;)
Soooo pity... Gaberl and you have to see DL or one of those gorgeous projects! ;;) ... at any time... :D

@ Gaberl: You visited Nurnberg last summer you say? Niiiiice ;) Once I was there... I want to see this pretty city again! I love the south of Germany because there are mountains and all that stuff you can't find in the north :D
Hehe, now it crosses my mind... maybe you attended to the exchange project in Nurnberg because it is the native city of Mr V.? :)) Holy shrine... ^:)^
Little joke, tehe ;)

RaBBitFan meinte:
welcome back
Geberl... :D
what is it you do that keeps you from posting here.?? could it be mad science as well?? at an elite college?? :-B clearly there is a connection of DL/HV and any other said project variable of Alex V and Ernst H....and mad science.

Oh yeah, the scientific/philosophical themes of DL's early work was one of the thing's I really loved about them. I always enjoy lyrics to good music that go a bit deeper than the typical romantic relationship ballad :) . And nah, it's not elite, lol. It's a small college called "Arcadia University" that I mainly chose because I got a decent scholarship, and I could drive there, saving me a couple thousand $$$ in residence fees :p . School's also what usually takes up most of my time, so most of the week I'm rather sleep-deprived, and usually my social skills (and bodily coordination) are the first to go, so it's better you just don't hear from me then :p .

And that's very interesting about the stripper thing... I will... erm, keep that in mind for future party talk lol. Poor children of the city :p .
And Qntal's alright; I have I, II, and IV, but I only really listen to them when I'm trying to concentrate or something. Good, but not a particular favorite.

Brosze meinte:
Hehe, now it crosses my mind... maybe you attended to the exchange project in Nurnberg because it is the native city of Mr V.? :)) Holy shrine... ^:)^
Little joke, tehe ;)

Nurnberg was very pretty, very interesting people too, lol [most seemed pretty cheerful and friendly for a city environment... or maybe my American accent was just entertaining, I dunno, haha]. And I had no idea Veljanov was from there, Nurnberg was actually the only choice we had :D . Although we did go into Munich for a day, and I *was* kind of hoping for the EXTREMELY unlikely chance of spotting one of them :p . Autographs! :D

@ Gerbl
Qntal V the silver swan is worth investigating.. of course 1 and 2 were under heavy Ernst influence as he was still part of the project at that time.. have you checked out Estampie? Alex even sang as a ligit vocalist in a couple of pieces ... he may sing pop but I know he can sing ligit too.. he may not have the official degree or the classical opportunities..none the less he can sing ligit... how many goth pop stars can do that?? seriously...

@ Lady Ash..aside from that person who posted all the other Helium Vola videos on youtube..what else is there to Grok?? what do you know about this?? =p~

Re Portland yes we are a little weird as far as cities go..but the children are mostly ok ...I have heard it said from other Europeans that Portland is the most European like city on the west coast... can't say for sure..

I am planning on going over there even if I have to sleep at the train stations.. I will see Deine Lakaien before I am dead or one of them are....
I am hoping to do this in the next year or two (work -life situation dependent )... I am terrified though because I will never learn German proper... I see a lot of people here write in English I am hoping that they speak it as well :-\ trust me all I can say now is horrible things about ones mother.. #-o

Maybe one day Gerbl you will make it over there again.. anything is possible.. :D

humbly :ymcowboy:
the Rabbit fan

Zurück
Oben Unten