Fruhlingstraum

Susge

I am a Darkstar
Have you heard the Schubert song Fruhlingstraum, which inspired Deine Lakaien's song of the same name? Musically, they are completely different from one another, but lyrically they are similar - although Schubert's is in German. Schubert's Fruhlingstraum comes from a beautiful song cycle called Winterreise. Deine Lakaien presumably like it. The songs are sung by a baritone singer accompanied by piano. The narrator has been spurned by his lover and journeys through the depths of the winter on his own, gradually descending into madness and freezing to death...

I've heard Winterreise, it's very dark and C19th gothic

Ya, I know 'Frühlingstraum' and I know the whole 'Winterreise'.
You said they are different musically - I don't agree totally with this point. I think both songs do express exactely the same kind of emotions. For me there's nearly no difference if I hear one or the other song. And I think Ernst did a very good job with this. He loves Schubert and he managed it, to write a song with different lyrics and different music, but triggering the same feelings!!

Audrey

Re: Fruhlingstraum - similarities

I didn't mean to say that musically, the two Fruhlingstraum are completely different from one another. After all they both have the three-part structure. The second part of each has the same powerful, violent awakening from the dream. They both use music to convey dreaming in a similar way... I love both songs equally.

*loves the online list for showing threads like this*

I love the song Frühlingstraum for it's softness and vulnerability, but I didn't know this. :) I need to go look for Schuberts version then.

*bumps*

I admit I always have to laugh a bit when I hear this song... veljanov sings repeatedly "all my searching was in WAYNE". it's not his sexual preference however, but merely a mispronunciation of the word "vain". he does so at least on the dark star tour live version of the song. I am not 100% sure about the album version though.

Well, as long as Wayne don't mind. :D

*cough*...that was mean though. Sorry, Alexander, no ill intentions. :)

Schubert, is that a classical componist, or some funky german artist I haven't heard of? It's hard to tell sometimes, but the lack of first name suggests the former.

Franz Schubert is classical componist... And I can't find whole Winterreise anywhere.. I wanted it bad because Covenant's "Der Leierman" has text from Winterreise... But now it's just a musthave

I bought the interpretation from Dietrich Fischer Dieskau and Gerald Moore some weeks ago for only 9,99 Euro at amazon, it ’s great. I can also recommend the one by Thomas Quasthoff

Zurück
Oben Unten