Acoustic tour - concert report Cologne

dreamdancer

I am a Fama Tuba
So, as promised, here my report about the acoustic concert yesterday in Cologne:

This was the concert that almost did not happen, because of a roadblock on the highway from Dresden to Cologne :-o , as Alexander told the audience later in the evening. What a terrible loss this would have been!

Despite the journey, which must have been very stressful for the two of them, Alexander seemed to be quite relaxed. Indeed he was very humorous throughout the evening. (Just as stated in the reports in the German board) Even about himself: He tried to allure the mike-stand to come to him for one of his already famous dances with it (I think it happened before “Over and done”).

First of all, I feel that Alexander’s wonderful timbre gets more space to unfold if accompanied by piano only. It shines oh so bright with the color of the night in all shades of black (to stick to the cliché). And he has a strong presence, too. When he sings “I will guide you” as in the second new song, your soul wants to reach out and take his hand. Man! This guy has magic.

When you see them perform, you really get that DL just belong together. Sometime, Alexander would delay a note a bit and Ernst just did exactly the same. This happens within a fraction of a second without the guys even looking at each other. So the very rare and small mistakes just make you see that these two people are human after all. E.g. like Alexander forgetting the text of the second stanza of Return. But he deals with such things just perfectly. I am sure that somebody, who does not know the pieces by heart, will recognize nothing wrong.

The set list can be found on the German board (thx to Pandora, Brosze and praskowitz).
It was great to hear “A fish called Prince” life – with a heavily prepared grand piano. Just wunderbar!

Things about the new songs as far as I got them: The first one is floating between major and minor key, but still with a drive underneath the melody – very typical DL song. The chorus is still playing in my ears: “One night one night, I had a dream: Water came running like a gleam. One night I felt what I have seen will come true, ‘cause day and night I am in love with you” The second one is in major key and more rhythmic. But its clarity drove tears into my eyes. That is a strong one!

RaBBitFan and I discussed elsewhere, that Ernst might restrain himself in the lower keys so that Alexander can show his colorful timbre. The answer is: No he does not. Actually, Ernst does not restrain himself at all, by any means. He gave everything he had and even more. At the end of the concert he was totally exhausted. I hope, he could still enjoy the standing ovations. The best example is of course “The mirror men”. I mean, I know that nothing can happen to the grand piano with tons of tensile stress on the strings. Neither can it fall over, like it would most definitely happen with a piano. But I do swear that it moved a few centimeters on the stage, even though the brakes where on.

Last but not least: As mentioned by others on the German board, the light and sound engineering were just perfect. The light was very steady – more like in a theater, supporting the atmosphere set by the music in a very subtle way. And about the sound: This was the first non-classical concert, where the music was not too loud for me. And for once I could omit the awful necessity of ear plugs. Whoever is responsible for this: Thank you so very much!

What is left to say: The light of this musicÂ’s score shall shine in my heart for evermore! (Sorry Mr. Poe)

:ymhug: Thanks very much dreamdancer for that report. Though I couldn't understand everything... but u have somehow a special way of writing that I like very much... all the detailed aspects about the music and so on (cannot describe it)

dreamdancer meinte:
Even about himself: He tried to allure the mike-stand to come to him for one of his already famous dances with it (I think it happened before “Over and done”).
:))

dreamdancer meinte:
First of all, I feel that AlexanderÂ’s wonderful timbre gets more space to unfold if accompanied by piano only.
I also think so especially as I like piano music very much. His voice is made for classical instruments, imo ;;)

Thank u very much for that statement, annemi! Yes, I try to get something across about the music. If that works out, I am very happy :D

Thank you for this report, it's really good. I didn't understand everything, but I like your way of writing :)

OMG I love it... I have no internets now... I think DD is the official Concert reporter... ;)
really Ernst moved the piano?? my my what bruit strength... I bet Alex's timber slices the air and the notes land exactly where intended.. softly or harshly as Ernst wills..upon our souls...

I read the article the first time through up in seattle to our other moontribe members.. the group was quieted by your report.. many of us were so excited by your words absolutly no one was sitting down.....and frustrated at not being there ourselves.. we were all gratful to you Dream Dancer.. we <3 you for taking this on.. :ymhug:

well I must go as the library is due to close

Love you DD
our high musician and scientist.. and DL journalist

LONG LIVE THE TDG~

Very nice report, well written and very special.

Freamdancer, well, you have made a "wunderbar" :) Job.

Best Regards.

Colorwriter

Oh no, this is too much for me
obm.gif

RaBBitFan meinte:
I bet Alex's timber slices the air and the notes land exactly where intended..
Exactly! Only once, there was a tiny deviation - that was on "paradise" in "Follow me". Since there is a fermata anyways, he stopped, smiled, looked at Ernst who smiled back (and waited for him, unnecessary to say), a giggle went through the audience, Alexander repeated "paradise" and the piece took off. I really love these small things, they create an intimate atmosphere.

RaBBitFan meinte:
and frustrated at not being there ourselves..
I feel really sorry for you - I hope, you will get the chance at least to listen to this great event...

***Dear Mr. Horn, if you read this, would you please think about putting together a live album from this tour? I am sure, you would make a lot of people very happy! But thx anyways for everything***

And now: Let us make a wish to the universe. You know? Sometimes, dreams come true. Sometimes...

Always yours,
dreamdancer

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator...:
dreamdancer meinte:
***Dear Mr. Horn, if you read this, would you please think about putting together a live album from this tour? I am sure, you would make a lot of people very happy! But thx anyways for everything***

And now: Let us make a wish to the universe. You know? Sometimes, dreams come true. Sometimes...

yeah :x and I have a little bit of hope as I never thought of an acoustic tour and it happened anyway... so maybe if I give up hope to get a new acoustic CD/DVD it will come? :D :p

I always believed that this is the best way of making a wish - do it, and then forget about it. Seems to work rather well for me...

@RaBBitFan:I apologize for my ignorance - what the heck is "link Irish luck"? (Does not seem to be too good...)

irish luck in a nutshell is

lets make it DL related..
so say I get to see DL and you all and have a fab time
then I get cancer and die but I was lucky enough to be able to see Alex and Ernst and Et al live and maybe meet them...

another example
say you are out with your friends... you are on the train home with them and the train wrecks and you and 2 others live.. well that be the luck o the irish...

the irish example I always got was make sure to be in heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead... if you make then the irish luck is upon you if you do not then I will be your neighbor :ymdevil:
its sort of damnation by faint praise...
all of this is of coarse much different than Murphys law... /:)
I will spare you the rights of Irish fist fighting rules :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar!

uuaaaah, nono irish luck here! L-) I see, where the "pictsies" idea comes from - but Pratchett ist not Irish, no? Since Ernst was so happy with the acoustic tour - I guess by now everybody has seen it on his myspace page - we suggest, a live album is the only proper way to say "thank you" to the fans :ymdevil:

hail to the TDG and our beloved Rabbit leader :D :D :D

I have my over extended credit card in hand... leader??.. no fool yes :D
to think 2 new songs! I am soo excited.. like new date excited.. like new baby excited :ymhug:

RaBBitFan meinte:
I am soo excited.. like new date excited.. like new baby excited :ymhug:
I know what you mean - I do feel exactly the same. Great that we have this place to share :ymhug: It makes me feel a little less stupid :D
This energy needs to go somewhere - dunno, maybe art contest? :ymdevil:

If it makes you feel better.. I wrote on myspaces page that I am having musical priaprism.. just cant let it go/or go down :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: we are a wonderful blend of idiots and savants...all for the Lakaiens

The New Year has a great beginning: Ernst mentioned in his latest announcement (on Colour-Ize and on his MySpace page) that the Berlin concert is going to be recorded! :D Therefore, he is also spending some extra time on practicing. So maybe our wishing works well :ymhug: Â… Alas, we know that nothing less then perfect will be released. So this is wishing part II

But what is perfect? Ernst writes that he would like to be able to play as Lang Lang, who is playing Prokofjev’s third concert in Munich at the same evening when DL are giving the acoustic concert there. Lang Lang is playing perfectly but still I do not like his interpretations that much – they are somewhat too clean. I like more the idea of tempi by Michelangeli O:) or Gould humming on recordings (get me?) or Richter playing Prokofiev ;;) . Okayokay, now you got me *cough* But perhaps Ernst can do it just like Richter and add a disclaimer to apologize for a mistake.

Sorry, I got carried Â… away Â…
(vanishes)

Zurück
Oben Unten