Lyrics meanings

Katerina

I am a Darkstar
Hello!
I was inspired by loseph who wrote about favorite songs and I thought I would ask what are your ideas about DL lyrics' meanings?
Some claim they may have some hidden messages or may not...well what do you think/ We could start deciphering from Your favorits for example...
Unless You listen them for music and voice of Veljanov only:) which is not that bad after all ;)

I read the lyrics of return, and I realize that it is so dificult to know what the inner message is. I like to write poems, and if somebody reads it, I think that would be so hard to him/her to understand my message. The only thing that I know for sure that it is a lot of feeling in both writtings.

Also I love this part:

When you hear me calling,
Will you be there?
When you see me falling,
Will you be there?

I've been thinking a lot about the lyrics to "Supermarket." At first, I thought it was simply a light, happy song about a man who sees a woman's face (his "bride?") in everyday things at the store. But then I started to notice the darker elements.

Now I think that the song may be about someone who died. The man does see her everywhere he looks, but this is "autohypnosis"--consciously or not, he wants to believe that she is still around. At one point, the images of her smiling face are invaded by the memory of her death. He sees her bleeding on all the "clean things" in the "supermarket arterial room." The angel imagery suggests both his feelings for her and the fact that she is dead.

To take it farther, maybe she was attacked and by an "apathetic" stranger "clasping a knife . . . in a suburban alley" on the way to or from the store, and she made her way, bleeding, to the supermarket "arterial room" where she died. The store's cleaning crew understandably had a hard time dealing with it.

I kind of hope I'm wrong, in a way, as this could turn from my favorite DL song to one that's hard to listen to.

What do you think? Please prove me wrong. :)

I translated for you what I wrote in this thread.

Though "Supermarket (My Angel)" is one of the songs that allow many different interpretions I'd like to describe my thoughts about it.

In my opinion it is about three different people whose common point of contact is the supermarket. The Angel on the one hand could be kind of a guardian angel (all three of them are lonely and think up a besteading angel), on the other hand it could be a personal deamon who is haunting them and driving them mad.

Gliding along on the parking place
Common taste interlaced
Singing along on the parking place
Oh my angel oh my angel
Common wants our gold
This softly glowing hall
Doors wide open common soul
A very warm welcome to us all
Oh my angel oh my angel

Person 1 is addicted to shopping. He or she is acting in front of the supermarket like a drug addict with signs of detoxication (pale faced). The fight with her-or himselve (the angel?) is lost as the entrance door opens.

My bride sad eyes
Smiling from a tv-guide
Oh my angel oh my angel
Lips wide with the tide
Smiling from a tv-guide
Oh my angel oh my angel
Deep fried crowd teaser
smiling from the freezer
Sun dried crowd teaser
Smiling from the squeezer
Oh my angel oh my angel

Person 2 is someone who rarely leaves his flat. He adores the "beauty" with big (artificially bolstered up) lips smiling at him from a tv-guide. His freezer is cram- full of things he actually doesn't need but which he bought at the supermarket because of the tempting advertising.

Drinks cash and carry
In a suburban alley
Clasp knife common apathy
In a suburban alley
Oh my angel oh my angel
Blood on the cleaning things
Dropping from her golden wings
Calls for the cleaning service
They vomit as she sings

I do have 2 different version for person 3.
1. She might be an alcoholic and in desperation stabs the angel (thus herself) at the housewares section.
2. She got injured by someone outside (in an alley) and takes refuge at the supermarket where she bleeds onto the cleaning things.

And according to Tiro the angel is the supermarket and the song reflects the contrast between the hard reality and the dream world (=angel) of the supermarket (shopping, advertising, tv-guide) which for instance comes apparent in "they vomit as she sings".

We both think there are three persons.

Wourme, your interpretation is interesting too and has it's logical points. I don't think there is any right or wrong. Ambiguous lyrics like this are meant to be interpreted in many personal ways.

And I think that there's one person who's depressed with our mass culture... Great supermarkets, mass shopping, you buy just to have something, and the blood... suicide... Why not in supermarket??? Maybe it will show people that just consuming goods is senseless...

Generators...

I'm not the best at interpreting lyrics and guessing what the artist may have meant...but this song always makes me think of how it feels to have a nervous breakdown, or another kind of mental issue...and how I'd wish someone to reach out and be there for me, the one safe haven.

Sometimes you just want someone to hold you, and carry you over to somewhere quiet and peaceful, and be the Knight in shining armour, protect you while you're fragile and easily broken.

This song is a gift to us, the fans. The lyrics describe the relation between DL and the fans, the atmosphere of comfort and understanding their music creates.
Don't think DL suffer from delusions of grandeur, on the contrary. The lyrics are a result of the real feedback DL get from fans and I am feeling it too.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. :)

I think it's just as important which feelings and thoughts the music brings out in the listeners, as the original meaning the artists had in mind. Music is all about emotions.

And that song makes me feel comforted when things are a little rough. :)

At least you agree with author... On Polish DoD forum was a strange history... Adrian gave an interview in which the interviewer told him that some people say that Adrian's music is a lot about suicide... Adrian said that it's not true. A member (or ex-member i don't know)said that it's not true, he must be lying etc, because whole Psychoma? is about suicide... Some people are weird...

I've always loved the surreal quality of some DL lyrics. For example The Game or Fish...
Just a question... Do you always try to decipher what's the message behind the words and between the lines, do you try to make up your own interpretations or do you just enjoy the stream of images and associations that the lyrics trigger in your mind?

Most of the the time i just enjoy the flow of music and the voice of Alexander.
So i am not a person who tries to find out what message is behind a song.
There are exceptions for me :: but i'm fine when i read interpretations
of others.

Slati

I always have an image with the music... And sometimes try to find what ios it all about. This is especially with Diary of Dreams...

I'm one of those who
have to know the lyrics of a song that aroused my interest,
have to like the lyrics of a song in order to like the song at all,
have to find an interpretation of the lyrics.

I'll never buy the album of a band that writes wonderful music but whose song lyrics I don't like.
I mostly make up my own interpretations meaning I often come up with personal interpretations that don't fit the original meaning of lyrics. The lyrics of a song have to hit a nerve with me.

I'm one of those who
have to know the lyrics of a song that aroused my interest,
have to like the lyrics of a song in order to like the song at all,
have to find an interpretation of the lyrics.

I'll never buy the album of a band that writes wonderful music but whose song lyrics I don't like.
I mostly make up my own interpretations meaning I often come up with personal interpretations that don't fit the original meaning of lyrics. The lyrics of a song have to hit a nerve with me.

I'm like that too. :) The macedonian stuff currently drives me batty, I have no idea what he's saying. But I'm positive it's something interesting...probably.

Music should hit a nerve, I think. It's what makes it memorable. The dime-a-dozen pop songs without content only lasts as long as the song lasts, there's no emotion there.

Hey, a little offtopic but, I always wonder about this question: Why Deine Lakaien sing in english? That is better for me...
But they could just sing in german or even in makedonian

BTW When I first heard them the thing that caught me was the sound of the music and voice, I dind't understand english at that time, but what keep me from listening all this time is what they say in their songs.

Naaa... It's nothing special... There are a few songs where Veljanov sings in German, and they are OK (esp. Nur Ein Tag with Stendal Blast), but I prefer English...

Zurück
Oben Unten