Who did what? How to tell which one of the two virtuosos is author of the song?

proxima

I am a Darkstar
Hi,
I admit I own just 20 Years of Electronic Avantgarde and Winter Fish Testosterone (I already talked about the obstacles awaiting Czech person wanting to buy their CDs, didn't I? : skully:), but I noticed that on the first one under the name of each song is written who's the author of the text and who did the music. But as for WFT, there's just written who sings and who plays the piano :-D even though everyone knows that. So I wanted to ask - is there some ultimate source with credit page or something like that? (*Is going to burry herself in case it's on colour-ize or deine-lakaien.com and she didn't find it*)

I'm wondering about exactly the same thing.

Interestingly, the albums released on EMI and Sony do have the authorship information ("White Lies", "Kasmodiah" and "April Skies"), plus "20 Years of Electronic Avantgarde), but all the others do not.

We can play guessing games, though  :-D

A few things put together with the information given in "20 years of electronic avantgarde" and the booklet of "Deine Lakaien live in concert 2002":

"Away" lyrics and music: EH
"Manastir Baroue" lyrics: AV, music: EH
"Cupid's disease" lyrics: AV, music: EH, AV
I read in an interview (right now I cannot recollect, where) that the "My winter" lyrics and music (as well as "My spring") were both by Ernst Horn.

"Manastir Baroue" lyrics: AV
"Cupid's disease" lyrics: AV

That's what I thought, thanks for providing the info.
"Manastir Baroue" sounds very Alexander-like, for some reason. Not to mention the Greek-Slavic connotations of the word "Monastir".
And in "Cupid's disease" Thessaloniki are called "Solun", which sounds very... Macedonian, too  :)

Wow, thank you very much guys! As I don't want to look like the main spammer here and open a new topic, would some of you probably know if My Spring and As it is were originally played on a piano, on a keyboard or on a synthesizer (Ok, maybe I'm being very stupid right now, but the modern ones have piano keyboard too, don't they?) on the WFT? I've never played keyboard nor seen it "live" (think whatever you want about my musical ignorance :-D), but I think that the keyboard can be played in a way that it makes almost the same sound as piano, since I've seen "digital pianos" that have the exterior of a normal piano/grand piano and yet they have digital mechanics very similar to the keyboard one inside.

Re: Who did what? How to tell which one of the two virtuosos is author of the so

Is it My spring will come?? that song??  I think I  know what he did... its funny story.... If you take thumb tacks... or lets see push pins  and place them in between the strings of a piano you get that sharp muted short sound... sort of vaudvillian-esque... its known in my part of the world as honky tonk piano..... of course there are synthesizers that can make this sound as well.. I am sure... that Ernst mutilated his piano though... have you seen that video of him banging on the strings?? in wasted years???  he beats on that poor thing like the animal he just killed...  Forcing  it to give its swan song~ Mad mad man that he is : naughty:  its very much the like EIN video of blixa beating anything in this old dark garage trying sap sound out of the surrounding objects.-- loved that : heart2:

anyway I hope that helps

how do I know
momma was a honky tonk piana  playa.... I would  come home from piano lessons in wyoming and sit down to play my classical music and clank plank plunk... :x
i'd have a red headed fit and open up the upright piano and remove the offending pins!! :roll: :roll:

PS doll if you can ask such questions I have no doubt about your musical intelligence. :-D

Rabbit : heart2:

Wow, thanks again, Rabbit.
Actually I crave for trying the modified piano sound that Mr. Horn does. And play the strings directly. And lay weird objects on the strings. And hit them with even more weird things XD. Actually, I plan to do this in front of the teacher whom I hate passionately (and who feels the same towards me) and who teaches me literature practice and except for that he teaches also music. I'm sure he'd get a heart attack if I did this. Of course I can try it with my own piano. But I think nothing would change since its sound is modified way more than Mr. Horn can even imagine. It's 100 years old, Czech, and I'm sure it hasn't been looked after or tuned for at least 8O years. Normal pianos are tuned twice a year, right? There are some spots made by water since my ancestors put flowers on it. It's been merely a decoration... Well, thinking about it, I could sell it to DL and buy a new tuned piano : naughty:. That's the reason why I'll wait with the heart attack thing until I graduate. I need a tuned piano at least at school so that I can also enjoy the playing (like getting some nice sound for my hard work) XD.

Re: Who did what? How to tell which one of the two virtuosos is author of the so

FIGHT THE POWER!!

do it give that musical ingrate  lesson he will never forget.... do it for all of us who never had the spine to fight their musical ingrates!

yes well pins and pounding are all very bad for the piano... our stupid ol thang never did sound or tune right... hell at one point it was so outta tune I had to play it 1/2 step up..... :roll:

I rabbit here by endorse the education of the uneducated...
:wink:

Re: Who did what? How to tell which one of the two virtuosos is

Can you help me? Who's the authors of this songs: A Fish Called Prince, Generators, Wunderbar, Fashion, Passion And Pigaches? Ernst or Alex?
Of course, lyrics written by this guys are different, but i cannot sort this song up. Think, mr. Horn's lyrics are...strange (i choose just this words), mr. Veljanov's songs are full of romantic...
I hope you'll help me!

Wolfin aus Stahl meinte:
Can you help me? Who's the authors of this songs: A Fish Called Prince, Generators, Wunderbar, Fashion, Passion And Pigaches? Ernst or Alex?
Of course, lyrics written by this guys are different, but i cannot sort this song up. Think, mr. Horn's lyrics are...strange (i choose just this words), mr. Veljanov's songs are full of romantic...
I hope you'll help me!

A Fish Called Prince: I think it was Mr. Horn, but I have no evidence. In the booklet of the Sampler on which the song was puplished is only written: written and composed by Horn/Veljanov.
Generators: Ernst Horn
Wunderbar: Ernst Horn
Fashion, Passion And Pigaches: No information concerning the author of the lyrics in the booklet
I hope I could help a little...

Wolfin aus Stahl meinte:
Think, mr. Horn's lyrics are...strange (i choose just this words), mr. Veljanov's songs are full of romantic...

Well, well, well.
Personally, I think Mr. Veljanov's lyrics are strange and stranger, too. Ever tried to figure out Kasmodiah? "He'll let you watch undress/and you would die for less"? I mean, hello? What conotations would you have for "undress" - my current guess is unmasked ... so are we talking about a lady who got to see the man behind the singer? And why is he so awful that she would almost die? Is he a Phantom of the Opera kind of person? Actually, I don't think so, anymore, but I started out along those lines.
Mr Veljanov sometimes has really weird elements in his lyrics ... I used to wonder whether the girls in "Silence in your eyes" and "Kiss" get to survive. Truth be told, I am still not sure. If I ever get to ask Mr Veljanov any questions, I'll ask whether the girls in his songs all survive. Except I'm sure that he'd just smile and say, "Whatever you think is right." Artists can be so annoying!

Mr Horn says of himself that he is really just an old softy (my signature is the original quote of that claim) - and many of the more straight forward and melancholic love songs are his.

Which brings me to a question of my own: Does anyone know who did what on the Winter-Fish-CD? I know "Away "is by Mr Horn ... but who of them wrote the rest, especially "As it is"?

Lady Ash meinte:
I used to wonder whether the girls in "Silence in your eyes" and "Kiss" get to survive. Truth be told, I am still not sure.

I remember an old Orkus-Interview where Alexander described what "Kiss" is about, containing the remark that the man is singing near the tomb of the girl, hoping she won't go to hell although she betrayed him. So she obviously didn't survive...

But I never had that feeling when I listened to "Silence in your eyes", it just seemed kind of peaceful to me :-\

"as it is": The lyrics and the music are by Ernst Horn.

My guesses of who wrote which lyrics are usually wrong - though Lady Ash's description seems to point into the right direction. On the other hand - what about "the game" or "slowly comes my night"? Those are romantic, too, are they not? And the images in "Supermarket" are at least a bit strange, no? (lyrics are by Mr. Horn) Or is this just stupid me? L-)

About "Kiss": I remember the interview just as alaya. Actually, my understanding was quite different. But maybe this is also a question of perspective - I'd identify with the woman, of course...

About "Kasmodiah" Alexander said somewhere that it is a very personal song. That was the reason why he did not like the idea to name the album after it.

Just like you I tend to have much darker interpretations than originally intended. But so what? I never liked this question at school about "what was the author's intention"? For me this just not the point and can never be more than guesswork without the possibility to interview the author. I do not particularly like guesswork. I truely believe, I learn much more, if I ask the question "What does this text mean to me?". (This is apart from the fact that there is such a thing as text analysis...)

Zurück
Oben Unten